Numbers from a recent American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry (AACD) survey show that whitening treatments have increased more than 300% since 1996. With so many individuals brightening their smile, the AACD has a few easy maintenance tips for consumers to consider after whitening.
“While daily home care and regular professional cleanings are essential for maintaining healthy teeth and gums, certain foods can help remove stains from your teeth,” said local AACD member, cosmetic dentist Dr. Roshan P. Parikh. “Foods such as apples, pears, celery, carrots, cauliflower and cucumbers produce saliva which combines with the foods’ natural fibers to naturally clean teeth and remove bacteria.”
More White Smile Diet Foods and Tips:
- Strawberries will naturally whiten your teeth.
- Avoid drinking coffee, dark syrup sodas, red wine and blueberries. All stain teeth quickly.
- Drink from a straw whenever possible this allows food dyes to bypass teeth altogether.
- Baking soda will help remove stains and build up. Brush it on your teeth twice a month, just as you would toothpaste, and rinse.
- Raw veggies are not only healthy to eat, but they will clean your teeth and remove topical stains.
- The mechanical action of chewing sugarless gum can also stimulate saliva and clean teeth surfaces, though not recommended for patients with TMJ.
Keeping up with these healthy smile tips will have you (and your wife) smiling for a long time to come!
2555 Lincoln Highway, Suite 107 • Olympia Fields, IL 60461 • Phone: 708.481.1818 • Fax: 708.481.1233